It’s Calgary Flames day over at NHL.com, here are the links (and of course my reactions) to the stories about our favourite team:
- Bennett heads Flames’ list of top 10 prospects: With NHL.com projecting Sam Bennett to arrive in 2015-16, they share the same belief of 67% of Flame For Thought voters. The only prospect NHL.com has arriving this season is Johnny Gaudreau.
- Sophomore season next hurdle for Flames’ Monahan: A line directly from article states – - “It’s one thing to fly under the radar and score 20 goals. It’s another thing to do it with your name highlighted on the lineup board in the opponent’s dressing room.” I BELIEVE.
- Progress, goalie among Flames’ five questions: The 1st question in this article is whether or not the Calgary Flames can take positive steps forward. My answer is yes, in baby steps. Let’s get to 82 points earned on the season! The 2nd question in this article is about the new Flames front office. So far, I like what I see. The 3rd question is whether or not captain Mark Giordano can turn in another Norris Trophy caliber type season. If the Calgary Flames do progress in baby steps, the answer to this question has to be that Giordano stays “status quo”. The 4th question in the article is a re-hash of Calgary hopefuls Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau. Jury seems to be sold on Bennett going back to junior. Now it’s up to Gaudreau to convince the jury to stay in the NHL instead of going to the AHL. The final question of this article is about the Flames goaltending situation. No matter how you look at Karri Ramo/Jonas Hiller combo, it’s an improvement over a year ago today.
- Expect young players to impact Flames lineup: NHL.com attempts to predict the Calgary Flames forward lines. One can probably use ink when writing down Curtis Glencross and Jiri Hudler as first line wingers. After that, I hope you have a pencil sharpener and eraser for the plethora of different line combos. The picture on defensive combinations is much clearer. NHL.com mentions how the Flames may be in the Connor McDavid/Jack Eichel sweepstakes but would be better served drafting a top end defenseman. I know they are right. You know they are right.
- Flames’ rebuild ready for next important step: The article mentions the acquiring of Jonas Hiller, Mason Raymond and Deryk Engelland. The article mentions the acquiring of Brandon Bollig. The article also mentions the hopes of continuing improvement for Mikael Backlund, Sean Monahan, and Joe Colborne. The article does not touch on the need for defenseman TJ Brodie to continue to grow in his game. The article also does not mention “Johnny Hockey” Johnny Gaudreau, If the Calgary Flames are to recover from the losses of Mike Cammalleri and Chris Butler, the nine players mentioned in this section of the article need to build off their 2013-14 seasons. That’s asking almost half your hockey team to pick up the slack for two guys. EEP! I believe!
What are your reactions to any of the NHL topics about our Calgary Flames? Please share them in the comment box.