8 of 12
Level Four: The Alum
This round isn’t for the new Flames fans. If you know the answers to these, chances are you’ve been following this team for as long as you can remember. Think you can get all these right?
- What kind of goals was Lanny McDonald known for?
- What was the main headline when the Calgary Flames traded Kent Nilsson to the Minnesota North Stars for the draft pick that resulted in Joe Nieuwendyk?
- After the Steve Smith incident, what did Flames fans chant at him whenever the Edmonton Oilers would play at the Dome?
- Who was the head coach at the time the Flames won the cup in 1989?
- Johnny Gaudreau has three career hat tricks, two of which happened on the same day exactly one year apart. What day was that?
- BONUS: Who were the two teams against?
- Who scored (take the word ‘scored’ with a grain of salt) that controversial no-goal in 2004 in the Stanley Cup Final against the Tampa Bay Lightning?
- Speaking of controversial no goal calls, another happened to the Flames 11 years later in game 3 against the Anaheim Ducks in the 2015 playoffs. Who scored (or didn’t score) that goal?
- Who is the only General Manager for the Flames to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame?
- In 1988, there was a player drafted by the Los Angeles Kings who didn’t even play a game with them since he was part of the trade that sent Wayne Gretzky from Edmonton to LA less than two months later. That player later became a prominent member for the Calgary Flames. Who is that player?
- One of the largest trades in NHL history was a ten player trade between Calgary and the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1992. Name two members from Calgary that were sent to Toronto and two players Calgary got from Toronto.